Each year 1 in 5 Australians will experience a mental illness. Many people are not knowledgeable or confident to offer assistance.
Physical first aid is accepted and widespread in our community, however, most do not cover mental health problems.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) teaches participants how to assist people who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
On the 26th – 27th of October, to support Mental Health Month in October, Out Doors Inc. is providing 10 members of the community with a FREE Mental Health First Aid course.
There are three components to this course:
- Component 1 (before the course) – A self-paced eLearning component (takes 5-7 hours to complete)
- Component 2 (October 26 and 27) – An Instructor-led component using video conferencing.
The training is based on guidelines developed together by people with lived experience of mental health problems and health professionals working in the field.
Using a practical, evidence-based action plan, you’ll learn how to provide mental health first aid for a range of mental health problems (depression, anxiety problems, psychosis, substance use) and mental health crises (suicidal thoughts and behaviours, non-suicidal self-injury, panic attacks, traumatic events, severe psychotic states, severe effects from alcohol or other drug use, and aggressive behaviours).
How do I register?
As an MHFA Accredited Instructor, Out Doors Inc. is providing this course for FREE to 10 individuals.
For more information, and to apply for this course, email Sophia Tzougravou, our Health Promotion Coordinator.
What if I need to talk to someone?
If you or anyone you know needs to talk to someone during this time, contact:
- Lifeline:Phone: 13 11 14 (24 hours/7 days) Text: 0477 13 11 14 (6pm – midnight AEDT, 7 nights) Chat online: Crisis Chat (7pm – midnight, 7 nights)
- Beyond Blue:Phone: 1300 22 4636 (24 hours/7 days) Chat online: Online Chat
- Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 059 467
- Open Arms – Veterans Support Service – 24 hrs 1800 011 046
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
- eHeadspace 1800 650 890
- Family Relationship Advice Line 1800 050 321
- Sexual Assault, Domestic or Family Violence and Abuse – 1800 RESPECT 1800 737 732
- Mensline 1300 78 99 78
- QLife 1800 184 527