By Liz McMillan
Summer is a great time for getting outside and enjoying the sunshine. It may not feel like it yet with all the rain we’ve been having, but there is still ample opportunity to enjoy the warmer weather!
Here are some fun suggestions of things you can do:
- Start a garden and grow some summer vegetables or flowers. This could simply be growing something in a pot inside your home or balcony or directly into the ground in your backyard if you have one.
- Get moving and work on your fitness. Warmer months are the perfect time to get outside and set yourself goals for a new exercise regime. Exercise has been shown to have a number of benefits, including helping to reduce anxiety and promote better sleep.
- Have a BBQ. Summertime is perfect for firing up the barbie. You could use a BBQ in a park, use a small, disposable one from the supermarket or local hardware store, or even invest in your own in your backyard.
- Get social. Have a picnic in a park, by the beach or out of Melbourne and invite a friend or two along to share food and conversation. Research shows that time spent with friends helps reduce stress levels and promotes a feeling of wellbeing.
- Go hiking and camping. Summer weather is perfect for sunny day walks and warm starry nights by your tent.
- Summer is a great time for eating healthier with lots of salad and fruit with some healthy protein options as well, such as fish. Eating healthily helps boost immunity and supports strong bones.
- Remember to stay hydrated in the warmer months by drinking lots of water. Two litres of water a day is a good guide to aim for. You can add slices of fresh fruit to your water or try chilled herbal tea for a refreshing low-calorie drink.
- Top up on your vitamin D by getting outside in the sunshine. But remember to always be sun smart by following the Cancer Council’s guidelines of Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek, Slide.
Whatever activities you choose in our amazing outdoors always remember to stay safe and have fun.